Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11- 10 Years Later

Dear Precious Boys,

Today is September 11, 2011-- 10 years after the terrorist attacks that changed our world forever. I want you to know where I was and how I was impacted. You weren't even a twinkle in my eye yet, but it still changed life for you too. The stories, the images, and the feelings still bring tears to my eyes, sadness to my heart, and a weight on my chest that really can't be described. Still, 10 years later, I've spent all moments of downtime re-watching, re-feeling, and re-greiving.


I was a senior in high school and I walked out of my Math class that morning and my good friend, Taylor Ownbey, came up to me and said a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I didn't even know what that meant- I assumed it was an accident, probably a private plan. but there was some chaos in the hall. By the time we got to our second class, the south tower had been hit as well.  The rest of my classes that day had the tvs on- watching the pentagon get hit and then the plane go down in Pennsylvania. We also watched as both towers fell. Sometime we discussed what was happening as a class, and sometimes we just sat in our desks and watched. Shocked, scared, and in fear. There were people from our high school in Cumming, GA who were trying to track down family members.  Some classmates were being checked out of school by there parents.  I remember wondering if my parents would come get me, but they never did. I still didn't get it- I didn't get the ramifications of those attacks or what this did to America.  But I did understand that thousands of people had lost someone they loved.


When I got home from school, my mom, your Annie was sitting on the leather ottoman of Pop's chair in front of the tv. I came in and sat on the floor with her. And we just kept watching the news- listening to what was happening, wondering if it was over. By dinner, we were all home and sat around the table to eat like we often did, but it wasn't a normal meal at all.  We discussed it a lot and then we would all go silent and just think. I don't know what I said, but I do remember my mom telling me that I was too idealistic. Like I said before, I just didn't get it.


That night, my mom and I went to 7:22, a huge worship service that was really for singles at North Point Community Church, our home church. Louie Giglio led us in prayer most of the evening. Before arriving, I wondered if anyone would even show up, but instead, the church was packed, so when we prayed, it was a roar.  A holy roar. We got in groups of people we didn't know and prayed and prayed and then worshiped.


I  managed to accumulate $300 worth of cell phone charges that night, talking to anyone who would listen. I have no idea what we talked about, but I do know there was a lot of talking- with my parents, with friends, with classmates-- for days, just discussing what had happened. Everyone was trying to figure out who and why and how.


Since then, a lot has changed. You see the ramifications when we go through security at the airport, but there is a lot more to it. Over thousand lives were lost and it could've been a lot more. Rescue workers put their own lives at risk to save other right before our very eyes. Many many heros emerged. I want you to research 9/11. I want you to watch videos and hear stories. On the other hand, I want to protect you from it all- but it is a part of who we are. And the most important thing is that God was there. And He was in control. We don't understand it, but regardless, God is still God and God is still good. We, The United States, thought we were invincible, but all that changed that day. But we're blessed enough to serve a holy, loving God who is invincible. And although our world got turned upside down, the Truth of the matter is that in Him there is rest. And there is peace. And it became evident just how dependent that we, The United States, are on God. In God we Trust. We will NEVER forget.



Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Psalm 37:7


He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment