Monday, April 19, 2010

Max is 8 months- 2/3 of the way to 1!

My Max is 8 months old today!  It is flying by and I'm loving every minute of it! This post is going to be all about him, his stories, his milestones, and his daily life.

Max is finally a good sleeper-- he's stubborn and independent and strong-willed, just like his mother, so when he decides to do something, he's all in- but not a minute before he's ready.  He sleeps 12 hours at night without us hearing a peep from him, and about 4-5 hours during the day.  I know in my head that it took a long time to get here, but I honestly cannot remember what the sleepless night were like.  At 5 months, a light switch went off and he's been catching zzzzz's like a champ ever since.  And before that, I got up once a night for a 10 minute feeding- not chatting, hanging out, socializing, or even diaper changing. Therefore, I honestly think having another baby sounds like an awesome idea.

Max takes baths every other day and LOVES them.  He likes to sit in the bath for a majority of the time, but if I get him out without laying him back so he can kick and splash water all over me, he does not appreciate it.  Regardless of what toys I put in the bath tub, he'd rather play with his brother's shampoo and soap.  I guess all the advice about not needing half the stuff you get is more true than I realized.  Max also has eczema- but if we slather him with baby Aveeno lotion, all is well with his skin.

Max eats 3 meals a day, and has a bottle 4 times a day. (He just weaned himself this weekend, but that'll be explained in tomorrow's post...) He LOVES food and I've started putting bite size pieces of things on his tray.  He does a pretty good job with this, but still expects a full bowl of mushy food when he's done with the bites.  The upside is the bites give me more time to get stuff done in the kitchen- like, persay, dinner.  His father appreciate this :)  Max is a piggy, but this makes me happy.  Unfortunately his metabolism is like his father so I have to work really hard for any chunkiness that he has.  I ordered a fat, curly headed baby, but God decided I needed Max instead.  I've accepted it and decided I would keep him!!  At breakfast he eats oatmeal, applesauce and prunes, or yogurt, apples sauce and prunes.  At lunch, he eats at least half a banana and green veggies- like green beans or peas, and sometimes avocado too.  At dinner, he eats pears, whole brown rice, and orange veggies like squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots.  I still make all his baby food from ogranic, fresh stuff and I'm still trying to make it to his first birthday without any sugar.  That even goes for the yogurt which means his eats the  nastiest, sour yogurt, but with enough applesauce mixed in, he thinks it's awesome!

[caption id="attachment_213" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Trying to become "King of The Remote" already!"][/caption]

Max wears size 3 diapers, and size 12 month clothes.  His feet are the 6-12 months in length BUT his feet are SO thin that I could fold his shoes in half around his foot.  But if I'm honest, baby feet are so stinking cute and he's 10 times faster at taking shoes off than I am at putting them on, that as long as he's not walking, I'm pretty sure bare feet are going to work for us this summer.  Speaking of walking, the child isn't even crawling.  He's scoot to things as needed but only if they're in his vicinity-- I mean really in his vicinity- like maybe 4 inches away.  This is mainly because we all do what he says and he's the only baby around our house, so as far as he's concerned, there is a Mommy, Daddy, Gabe, or Maggie (his sitter) to do things for him.  This goes for holding his bottle too.  My mom tells me that my baby brother waited until he was a year old to crawl and decided to just go ahead and walk the next day.  There is less wear and tear on the knees that way, so whatever happens, works for me!

Max is NOT a snuggler unless you're giving him a bottle, but he does still like to be held and carried around.  I take what I can get.  He's also is very nosy (again, his mother is to be thanked for this lovely trait) so he'll reach for anything and everything, which includes diving out of your arms and scaring the "carrier" half to death.  Thank you Jesus, there have been no major injuries, head bonks, or blood in his first 8 months.  Although I thought he was getting a tooth months ago, my pediatrician informed me that that was a white cyst on his gums which are apparently normal and a false alarm.  He also tells me that is good news because the later they get their teeth, the healthier the teeth are-- hopefully this counts for the tooth he just cut last week!  His first one poked through on Monday night, and let me be the first to tell you, it is indeed, sharp.

Maggie comes to love on Max Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings- he loves her and she loves him and it's just an awesome set- up for Mom too.  He has yet to spend the night away without us, and has only had one night without me, and Dad held down the fort.  Max loves being outside, riding in his stroller, walking around, going to the park, sitting the grass, eating sticks, going to Gabe's soccer games, and many other fun things.  He has had his first couple application of sunscreen over the past couple weeks and has demonstrated that if a baby licks the sunscreen off his mom's hands while she's applying, he will not get sick or appear to be affected at all.  Max and Dad do fun things together- they already to beginner's wrestling on the bed, channel surfing, and lots of laughing.  I'm sure they do lots of other things that mom's aren't allowed to know about, too... lucky for me, Max will be talking and outing them before too long :)

[caption id="attachment_212" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Max helping with yard work today"][/caption]

Max's normal schedule


Wakeup between 7-7:30am


Bottle #1 followed by breakfast


Nap at 8:30am (1 1/2 hours)


Bottle #2 followed by lunch at 11:00am


Nap at 11:30 (1 1/2 hours)


Bottle #3 at 3:00


Nap at 3:30 (this nap is usually the "short" nap)


Dinner at 6:00


Bath, pj's, bottle, song, prayers, bed at 7/7:30pm


I should also mention that Max is VERY flexible!  The above schedule is ideal- but if we're not home for naps, or if we're running around like crazy, or have people over, or eat late, he's the same happy little camper.  If he decides to "lose it", it usually lasts about 5 minutes, then he bounces back.  I can say that with the pace of life around our neck of the woods, I could not ask for a better trait in a baby and I really hope this carries over to the rest of his life as well! This laid back attitude about his schedule is definitely from his father- I wish I could take credit for this but I can't!

Max is very active, and makes lots of sounds (Da, Ba, Mama, Heh, Beh, etc...) he waves hi and bye, signs "more", claps for himself when you sign "all done", lift his arms up when he wants to be help, and he's working on blowing kisses with me and giving high fives with Dad.  He loves singing and dancing and he is a mama's boy.  I DON'T hate that- let me just tell you.  He is also very loved.  I just can't get enough of that little boy.  I never imagined that I could feel this way- it's a love that can't be described until you do it- it magical and perfect and humbling and wonderful- all at the very same time.  He is truly one of God's best gifts to me, and I am so thankful for this addition to my life.  The Lord is teaching me so many things through motherhood, and I'm so glad he chose me to be Max's mom.  I'm honored to do the job.

[caption id="attachment_215" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="He can DESTROY his bumper, even though is it attached to his bed, in a matter of seconds if he has decided that he is done being in bed."][/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment