Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Meet the PP

I've been a major blog slacker... which means I have a lot to catch up on!

Let me start by introducing an important group in my life, The Porton Posse.  We, the PP, gather once a month for mexican food and discussions about life.  It is a major highlight to our month and we all look forward to it.  There are 5 of us total. And here is how we happened:

In the Spring of 2004, prior to my internship at Buckhead Church with the middle school ministry, I went to their spring retreat to "get a feel" for the kiddos.  My girlfriend's husband was (and is) the middle school pastor, so she hooked me up with a trial run.  I helped with a 6th grade small group of girls that weekend and my co-leader was an awesome gal named Wendy.  We clicked right away and "became" friends that weekend. Wendy has a younger sister, Trisha-- and so I got the introduction from one sister to the next.

Then I met Ruth in the summer of 2004 when we were both interns that were too cool for school.  She was from the Dirty Jers and was down for the summer, working with Kidstuf at Buckhead Church.  I met her, we locked eyes, and have been friends since.  She is my bffa- pronouced "buh-fah" as in a word, not the letters. But there was no meshing of circles at this time.

After the summer, Ruth and I went back to college. I came into Atlanta most weekends for church and continued my friendship with Wendy and Trisha.  Ruth and I had phone dates throughout the school year and we continued our friendship as well.

Finally, after Ruth graduated, she moved to Georgia, to be with the rest of us crazies.  At that point, the friendships all meshed- Me, Ruth, Wendy and Trisha.  And we began our Mexican habit, but without any formality.

Meanwhile, I was working at a different church, North Metro, and met Jill because her hubby was my co-worker.  After a couple years of knowing Jill and simultaneously knowing and loving Ruth, Wendy and Trisha, I decided we would all probably be a match and invited Jill to mexican one night.  She immediately clicked, and we got a schedule and a restaurant (El Porton) that is our go-to and knows us by name, and we have been the Porton Posse ever since.

Since our start, Ruth has gotten engaged and gotten hitched. (We were all in attendance).  Trisha got engaged and got hitched this past weekend (hence this post). And Wendy got engaged about 2 weeks ago and will be getting hitched in October, with the PP there to celebrate as well.

Side note #1.  Please say a prayer for Jim Foster who just married off his daughter (Trisha) on Saturday and will do it all again for his other daughter in October.  Poor man :(

Side note #2.  The PP was all at my wedding too, but we just weren't the PP yet.

Sidenote #3. Jill came with to us with her boo. So even though we weren't in on the process, we don't complain, because he fits.

Side note #4.  The PP's hubbys/ fiances all share a sport: golf and are all jokesters and get along great-- just like we planned :)

SO now for the wedding this past weekend:

Trisha and Carlton tied the knot and it was in gorgeous Murphy, North Carolina, on a beautiful farm, with absolutely delicious food and Waffle House Chocolate pie for dessert, as requested by the bride. (Love her!)  Trisha, who we obviously love, hence her coveted place in the PP, married this incredible man who loves the Lord and loves Trisha.  He is funny and personable and caring and laid back and just plain great.

[caption id="attachment_615" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Ruth and I read scripture in the ceremony, this is us just before the wedding"][/caption]

It was really great to celebrate with them this weekend.  And now that you know the PP, be prepared to hear about our antics.... and Wendy's upcoming nuptials.

[caption id="attachment_616" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Me and my HOTT date"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_617" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Me and my GORGEOUS bffa"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_618" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The PP: (L to R: Wendy, Jill, Ruth, Trisha, and Lauren)"][/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment