Thursday, June 24, 2010

Family of 4 Needs Help

Yesterday, Max and I went to Wal-mart to get toothpaste. We weren't at the about to run out stage. We were at the had run out and if we didn't get some more, wouldn't be brushing our teeth again until we did stage. It was dyer.

Pulling into the parking lot, there was a back-up-- I couldn't see what was holding us up and I almost started honking, but something stopped me. Once I got to the stop sign, leading into the parking lot, there was a woman at the corner holding a sign that said "Family of 4 needs help". A car had stopped to ask questions, which caused the back up. So instead of asking the lady what she needed, I decided to try to find the driver of the car who had already asked. It was my half cop out.

But I have a child in a car seat, so once I got him out, I couldn't find the driver of the car that caused the back up.

So Max and I got our toothpaste and left the store. I drove back past the lady with her sign, and headed home.

I kept thinking about the parable of the sheep and the goats in Matthew 25
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Was this someone God wanted me to help?

But I kept driving.

Then I got to the exit, closest to the main road and there was a man with the same sign.

But I drove past him too.

'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me' ran through my mind again.

And again.

If I went back, would I be putting my baby in danger? Would I be putting myself in danger? This parking lot is busy, it is light outside, it's a busy intersection, I'd be fine, right? Not to mention that there wasn't anything in that passage about helping only in optimal conditions.

So I turned around and parked in front of the man. When I rolled my window down, he came up to the car and I said, "What do you all need?"

He replied, "a car".

Um, ok.... Then he explained that someone gave them a place to stay in Cartersville (North of the Wal-mart we're at) and he has a job in Kennesaw (South of the Wal-mart we're at) and he really wants to keep his job but his car died and really, they just need a car.

Well I don't have an extra car, and I didn't know what to say.

Me: Ok, well let me talk with my husband.... Um, are you all around here often?

Man: No, not really.

Me: Is that lady down at the other corner your wife?

Man: Yes, her name is Lori. (BIG smile on his face... I think he's in love with her :) )

Me: Um... ok.... well.....

Man: Will you pray for us?

Me: Absolutely!

Man: We're Ken and Lori. God Bless.

And that was it.

As I pulled away, I started analyzing- well if he had a job, why wasn't he at it? (It was about 5:15pm). And if they are a family of 4, and I only saw 2, where are the other 2? And how did they get to Woodstock?

And God shushed me. It wasn't mine to question or doubt- if people need help, they need help. And they asked for a car and prayer.

I didn't give him a car, and I'm not sure I'll ever see him/ them again, but if I do then I'll know God is really up to something. But in the meantime, will you say a little prayer for them? Because what's better than one prayer? Lots of prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment