Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Weekend to End Breast Cancer: Check!

So almost 2 weeks later (because better late than never, right?) I wanted to give you the low down on the breast cancer walk.  It was really a very cool experience- being a part of something so much bigger than myself- walking with survivors, fighters, and people who have lost loved ones.  There were people cheering and people crying-- without sounds too cheesy, it was really moving.

My mom and I walked together, and my Mamaw, currently cancer free herself, provided us with our t-shirts.  It's one of those things that everyone should do at least once- it brings a lot of perspective to your life!  And it was an honor to walk for Mamaw and her fight with that dumb, horrible, nasty, awful C-word.

Also, I wanted to make a special thank you to all of my supporters-- with your help, I was able to reach my goal.  Thank you friends and family, thank you thank you!

[caption id="attachment_1045" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The Opening Ceremony"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1046" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The goose bumps on this GA gal's legs in the IN weather"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1047" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="me and my mom at lunch"][/caption]

Max also had fun in Indy-- it was nice to get away from our normal daily-ness and see lots of family.  Both sets of my grandparents were there- and they each love the chance to hug on (and laugh at) Max.  We got to celebrate my Mamaw's birthday, and I got to see a lot of my cousins too.  And let's be honest, Max was SPOILED.

He got another fire truck, because he clearly needs one in Indiana and one in Georgia... or so his Annie thinks!

He got several other new toys during a trip to target

And he had some man time with my Dad and brother, which included Dairy Queen.

[caption id="attachment_1048" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="(Doesn't he look like such a little man in this picture?)"][/caption]

Every time I think about the life Max leads, I just shake my head in agony- I'm mean he has it so rough- no love, no toys, no friends, no treats, nothing.

And to reward me for taking him to the land of spoils, Max screamed BLOODY MURDER all the way home on the plane.  He was pulling at his ears, and thrashing around.  He was exhausted-- but too upset to just give it up.  The people all around me on the plane were gracious (except for the flight attendant who needed a knuckle sandwich)- but I have NEVER felt so embarrassed my whole life.  I had no control over the situation, all I could do was sit and hold him, and try (for an HOUR) to calm him down. By the time we got off the plane, I was the one crying.  But we survived.  And we're stronger for it.... at least I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment