Saturday, June 4, 2011

National Donut Day

I should be embarrassed about the lengths I go to for a donut on National Donut Day.  I'm not- but I should be!  Last year I trekked my kids half way across Florida on foot to get to a donut shop-- they handled it well-- here are the pictures to prove it:  but it almost killed me!  I should've learned.... but no!

This morning I woke up, as a mother of two children under two years old, knowing full well that it was National Donut Day- but also knowing that I had not slept more than 2 hours in a row in 2 weeks and that my body felt like it had been run over by a mack truck.  I also thought through the logistics and knew that I'd be sweating before we even got to the donut store.  But for some reason, that didn't stop me.

I fed Jack at 8, loaded him in his car seat, got me and Max ready, and got all 3 of us to the car by 9am.  (yes, there was sweat, but it was minimal)  With the help of the minivan AC, I was cooled off by the time we reached Krispy Kreme... as in heaven on earth.  And don't you worry, the HOT NOW sign WAS most definitely on!

It has been in the high 90's all week here in the ATL, which means that even at 9:20 in the morning, it's HOT-- like jump in a pool hot.  So upon arrival, I got out the stroller for Jack, loaded him in it, got the bag in just the right position, then got Max out- but since the parking lot was hopping and I fear parking lots with small children, I didn't let his chubby feet hit the ground until we were safe inside.  Have you ever tried to hold open a door with your body, and use one arm to push a stroller through it, while holding a 28 pound toddler on your hip with your other arm?  Let me just say that by the time I reached the counter, I had "new mom" and "donut addict" written all over my face, by beads of sweat.

So as I'm ordering, Max is happily back on the ground, screaming "BIIIGGGG Donut!" over and over with a huge grin on his face. Others are chuckling- but I'm just hoping for the moment when we are actually settled at the table, enjoying the darn things.  Once we get our half dozen of hot donuts and my cup of decaf coffee, we begin to navigate to a table.  But have you noticed that KK's are exactly 4ft by 4ft, and my stroller is at least 3ft by 3ft, and it was seriously and act of God that we made it to a table, without knocking everyone over.  But we did. Alas!

At this point, all my hard work became worth it- my sweat dried up, the embarrassment fell from my face, and Max and I dug in! Within minutes, we were covered in glaze and dancing to Christina Aguilera's "Come on Over" and watching through the window as millions of other donuts were being made.  Max ate 3, THREE donuts, which means I only got 3 too.... I guess he is helping me lose my baby weight-- thanks Max.

Luckily, my sweet friend Erin came over with lunch, to meet baby Jack once we made it home.  And then Max, and Jack (and ME!) slept for 3 hours.  We were worn out from our donut adventure- but it is a holiday worth celebrating for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment