Wednesday, May 18, 2011

All Graduated!

This past weekend, my baby brother graduated from college.  From college!  That's right folks- he's all grown up-- an adult, heading out into the big bad world.  I want to warn him about bills, and people who try to rip you off.  I want to advise him on insurance policies and what "benefits" are really benefits when it comes to accepting a new job.  I want to tell him all the things I didn't do so well, or that I wish I would've done differently, and of course, let him know that our Dad was right when it comes to our savings accounts.  But then on the other hand, I've been mothering the poor child since he was born, and why would he listen to me anyway... I didn't listen to others when it was my turn.

[caption id="attachment_1571" align="aligncenter" width="224" caption="The Graduate"][/caption]

So we headed to Athens, GA for the weekend-- home of the very wonderful and amazing University of Georgia.   As we pulled into town, I couldn't help but think about my time there.  I loved college- I loved Athens- and I love the Dawgs.  I had incredible friends, learned so much about myself and grew like crazy in my walk with the Lord during my time there. It was a funny homesick-like feeling I got upon arrival.  I couldn't help but laugh about how things had changed-- back in my haydays, I drove around in my sporty Acura Integra, I was a skinny tan girl who lived with her closest friends, and hung out with the rest of my friends almost daily.  School was easy, had a great job working at a preschool, the on-campus ministry I was apart of was rockin and ran around happy as a clam.  Well on Friday, I showed up in MY minivan, full with husband, my step son, my one year old and my pregnant self.  My my how things change!  I think the only thing that is the same is the Jesus that lives in my heart.

[caption id="attachment_1570" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="The best picture ever taken!"][/caption]

So anyway, off that tangent and back to my point:  Eli's graduation!

Eli is great.  He is a one of a kind guy- for real.  I totally understand that I am biased, but he busts his butt and works really hard-- and after being married to a hard worker for a couple years, I realize what a huge asset that is when growing a family.  He graduated with 2 majors and a minor-- with honors.  He worked, too (though not enough if you ask my parents.... :) ) AND he is an incredible uncle.  Oh my goodness- you should see him with my children.  I'm not too keen on "male" sitters but I'd leave the boys with Uncle Eli in a hot second.  And I'd leave all day if I need to.  Eli is "on call" for Max duty when I go into labor- he's driving to our house to keep the little tyke until my Mom makes it down from Indy.  Like I might have to call him in the middle of the night.  AND he is totally ok with it!  What other 23 year old man do you know that is like that?  Who gives of what little free time he has to come keep Max for free?  Or play outside with Gabe?  And the gas alone, to get from Athens to Woodstock ain't cheap!

[caption id="attachment_1576" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Gabe and Max at Herty Field"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1575" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Max and Pop at lunch"][/caption]

Again, I digress.  So he graduated- and we were all there- my parents, and Sam, and my family- both sides of grandparents, and Eli's leading lady, who is also named Lauren.  (I actually had to steal this pictures from Eli's Lauren because she actually remembered her camera for this occasion... imagine that.)  We had a fun day full of celebrations, and food, and a really really long processional, family, and pride in our little Eli.... who just so happens to be bigger taller than me.  (I can't see bigger, per say. because I'm as big as a house at this point, but ask me again in a month or so....)

[caption id="attachment_1573" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The LONGEST processional ever......................"][/caption]

(Did you notice how the students left in the stands on the far right spell "F-I-R-E"-- Gabe noticed that during the longest processional ever!)

[caption id="attachment_1577" align="aligncenter" width="224" caption="Max drawing during the longest processional ever!"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1572" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Eli and his Lauren"][/caption]

So Congrats Eli and the Class of 2011.  I can't wait to see what God has for you now!

No comments:

Post a Comment