Thursday, January 19, 2012

All In

Today is the birthday of a very special lady (nope, I'm not talking about my mother, although she is certainly a very special lady!)-- it's someone God put in my life over 12 years ago and I haven't been the same since. After every interaction with this woman, regardless of the reason we're interacting, I walk away with a passion to be a better mother. So today, in honor of Kellee Hall, I want to talk about something God has been showing me...

Kellee is the mother of three wonderful children-- her eldest, Grant is a football player for his high school. At the beginning of December, Chad and I and all our boys stood beside their entire family-- grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins-- as Grant and his team played for the State Championship for the 5th year in a row. They were all dressed in green and they cheered their guts out as they had time and time before. I couldn't help but notice how "all in" Kellee was when I came to the game her son loves. Her passion for her children and their hearts is SO contagious.

Back in the day, while working at North Metro Church, there was a group of students who got together to start a revolution among their schools- they worked hard with a united vision across many ministries, many churches, and all the schools. One of their ideas was that everyone should have the same t-shirt as part of Revolution Week, so one of the guys got his Dad to buy a huge order of t-shirts and they would then sell them for cost to students across Cobb County. That Dad was "all in"-- he didn't question his son, or ask for a guarantee of breaking even-- he just believed in what he was doing and literally was willing to put his money on it.

Several years ago, when coaching cheerleading, there was a wonderful young lady on my squad named Callie. Shortly after starting college, her passion for baking was heightened and she started making stuff in her kitchen at home. I followed along on Facebook as she posted new, beautiful, and yummy things constantly. And before long, her and her mom were opening a shop to further this dream, while she continues to get her college degree. Her mom now works with her as they grow their business: Callie's Cupcakes and Creations . If "I believe in you so much that I'll go into business with you" doesn't say I'm "all in" then I don't know what does.

For some reason, God brought all these stories to the fore-front of my mind about a month ago and I just can't shake it- I am passionate about doing this for and with my kids. I want to be a mom who is all in-- who believes in my children and supports what they do with all that I am. I'm not sure what that will look like in the years to come, but I've had some great examples. For now, I think it means being "all in" when my kids are up in the night, sick, teething, or growing. I think it means embracing, and answering, each time Max asks "where are we going Mom" or "what are you doing Mom" even though he already knows the answer. I think it means potty training with patience, cleaning up after Max-make-a-mess Bowman when he finishes eating and teaching Jack how to eat solids, even though it's easier not to.


I'm sure this list will keep growing, but I pray my boys recognize my love and passion for them, I pray they feel supported and believed in from the top of their heads to the tips of their toes, and I pray that that "all in-ness" leads them to the feet of their Heavenly Father, who was SO all in when it came to us, his children, that He sent his son to make a way for us to be with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment