Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Lately

Motherhood is not for the faint of heart. Let me just make that clear. Somedays, it seriously is survival of the fittest. Beginning at 11:30 last night, I was up about every 30 minutes for some reason or another, and then Max and Jack have been up since Max's 5am potty break. And by up, and I mean "HELLO WORLD, LET'S PARTY!! ISN'T THIS A FINE TIME TO START THE DAY!!!???!!!!!" It really isn't good. But I've come to the conclusion that I need a t-shirt that reads "I'm not nearly as stressed as you are watching me". This rambunctious 4 year old, the rambunctious 2 year old and their baby brother are my sidekicks all the live long day. I can do nothing "real quick" and I'll never again "jump in the car really fast" or "run a few quick errands" BUT loading and unloading this crew, eating meals and simultaneously carrying on conversations, holding one fussy kid while scraping another fussy kid off the floor, cleaning up one mess while new ones are made, etc... well that is just normal life for me. There are several times a day where I literally break out in a sweat because getting a certain task completed- like nap times, clean up, getting dressed, baths, etc...- literally leads my body to believe that it's exercising.  But again, it just doesn't even faze me... besides the fact that I always feel greasy! Sometimes I get "that look" from strangers and friends alike, and it takes me a minute to realize they are overwhelmed by me and my brood and assume that I am too.

Case in point: Yesterday, Danielle and I took our crew of 5 between the two of us... ages 4,3,2,1,and 0 and played at the gymnastics place for a bit then headed to Moe's for lunch. While at Moe's our kiddos, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best behavior in the world, were steadily at a 9. But by the end, as we were trying to parade out the door, there was a long line of others trying to obtain their lunch, and our cute little crazies decided to do happy screams as we made our way out. Like loud. But again, they were all happy and just being silly. The high school students in there literally looked over their shoulders in disgust. I saw it as my contribution to their own personal birth control. The people in line were cringing. And Danielle and I, literally laughing! This is after some random man came up to our table and said "Does one of you drive a Toyota Sienna? Well you left the door open." (Wonder why he assumed it was us.....)

I do not want to live in the stage forever- I just don't think it would be good for my health, my blood pressure, or the bags under my eyes- but for now, I just really do enjoy it and it always makes me laugh. My days are busy and long, ohhhhh yes they are. But who else has stories like this?

But because of aforementioned busy days, my blog memories are suffering, so I'd like to perform an iphone camera dump of "Lately" in order to get certain things on the books forever!

So... Jack learned to roller skate...


And he also choked on a Mentos while I was driving. Like I had to do the heimlich maneuver and it is by the grace of God that he is still with us. I am not joking. But I cannot discuss it or else I'll be in the fetal position. I was so shaken by this that it took me about 30 minutes before I could drive again-- it took Jack about 30 seconds before he fell asleep. At least one of us wasn't scarred for life.

Jack also has started "disappearing" for a few minutes every day and coming back with a wad of wipes and a diaper declaring that he's "stinky shoo-wee"-- I know I should take this as a sign to potty train the boy seriously, but I'm not mature enough for that yet.


One Sunday morning I laid out clothes and asked Chad to get the baby dressed... when I went to get the baby out of the car I noticed a huge white floppy tag under his chin like a beard... Chad hadn't seen it and couldn't believe that baby clothes would be buttoned in the back. I would elaborate, but I'll just stop after pointing out that this baby is Chad's 4th. Fourth.


My bathroom always looks like this- I hang that towel, wipe the bright blue kid toothpaste from the sink, and stack the stools away multiple times a day. Chad had mentioned several times that I am wasting my energy and that such tasks are pointless... I respond by pointing out that 99% of my daily tasks could be categorized the same way... why do laundry, it's just going to get dirty again? Why feed them and clean the kitchen, I'm just going to have to repeat it all in 2 hours? Why get them out of bed, I'm just to put them all back again shortly. But someday folks, there will be no toothpaste to wipe and they'll be able to reach the towel hanger, and my life will then again have a point :)


This is 3 of the 4 brothers the day before Gabe headed back to school- we ended the summer with one last swim at my parents before it was time to buckle down and have a real bed time. These boys melt me.


This is the day Jack decided that his helmet would be part of his attire for the day... it even had to go with us in the car... guess he's afraid of my driving... but before I knew it, he was out like a light. It's hard work holding up that head and a helmet!




We also went for some exercise on the Silver Comet Trail with my mom-- both Max and Jack insisted on riding their scooters... so this is how my mom had to walk:


And this was my view. I was having one of those "living the dream" moments as I captured this picture.


Jack has also taken to dressing himself-- he sees Max do this regularly too. The problem is that Max picks gym shorts and a t-shirt every day, while Jack's style is really more his own... there really aren't words to categorize it. And at least a day or two a week, the control freak in me releases all control and I actually take him in public like this.


Jack also got this hat in the mail from Grandpa and he refused to be without it for about 10 days. At this point, I snuck it away to wash it because it was stinky and haven't given it back yet... bad mommy!


And because Max likes to wear baseball pants everyday, Jack has talked him into sharing. And it's just the most adorable sight. They are rolled a time or two-- but he just loves to "dress baseball and play bases like Maxie."

Meanwhile, over the summer, Max and Jack became best friends. I think it happened around the time that they started sharing a room, but they can be found together all of their waking hours. And when one is away, the other misses them dearly. Last week, Max went to Wednesday night church and Jack stayed home with my mom-- on the way home, Max confessed "I just hoped that Jack would be there all night." They fight like cats and dogs, but they are each other's BEST BUDDY, too. It's exactly what I hoped for in my children.


In Gabe's book bag this week, I found this wrinkled up at the bottom-- it's his "about me" paper for the year-- here is what it read: "My name is Gabe and I am 10 years old. I was born in 2003. I have 3 brothers and 1 sister. I like to play soccer. I have a very good teacher. My brother Max is very chatty. I had a whole week with my grandparents last summer. My little brother Jack just turned two, double trouble. Now you know about me."

SO FUNNY!!!

And lastly, this is the face that bring me joy and tickles my soul each time I see his sweet face. He is my baby sunshine and he lights up my already bright world!


No comments:

Post a Comment