Monday, March 25, 2013

Tips From A (very) Pregnant Mom


You've all heard that the pregnant lady doesn't really appreciate being touched by strangers. It's true- she doesn't. It's weird and awkward, mainly because the belly is still attached to the body- something you wouldn't normally touch. 

But let's be honest, I don't know if it's because of word of mouth or if it's because people started thinking, but this doesn't really happen that often. It's usually someone you know and they usually ask first, and if you're a mom already, you're used to little hands all over you, so what's a little ohh and ahhh and pat on the belly from someone you know? 

Not a big deal.

But what is a big deal are the questions I get asked regularly this go around... at first I laughed, because who would really say these things in public to strangers? And now it's happened so many times, it's all I can do to keep my hormonal, smart mouthed self from saying things that would scar us all for a long time. So here's a list of things you should NOT say to a pregnant lady...

Obviously, I have 3 boys in tow with me 90% of the time. They're blond and really cute and they're all boys, I know.  And then at least once a week, if not more, I add another Spiva boy or two to my crew. I like it that way. I doesn't stress me out and the "chaos" that you see doesn't even make a blip on my radar. I prefer to keep them buckled in and wrangled in some way or another at all times, but I do totally understand that the noise alone can cause outsiders to peek... and then stare and gawk as they count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 boys... and she's pregnant. But regardless of how many children a pregnant lady appears to have the following is not acceptable:

1) "You do know how that happens, right?"
.... umm yes, I do, as does my husband. All of these boys have been planned down to the exact month they were conceived and we're overwhelmed by the blessing of being their parents.

2) "You hope that one is a girl, right?" (while pointing to my belly)
... not as much as you do! Being a boy mom is super fun, and if we were insistent on a girl, we would've gotten a puppy, which you can pick... but instead we've left it up to the Creator of the Universe. Ruffles and bows will be super fun, but so will raising 4 boys.

3) Upon being told that we're not finding out the gender "but don't you need to prepare yourself if it's another boy?"
... actually no, we're all stocked up on the boy stuff, it's the girl that will really throw us off!

4) "What will you do if it's a boy?"
... be thrilled to death, just like we will if it's a girl





Now you're probably having a hard time believing that strangers are saying these things to me, but they are-- I've heard them ALL more than once!!  And I know that some people think they're funny- but really it's not funny. It's my real life and I really love it. 

Feel free to add to the list if you've got more... maybe this list can help protect unsuspecting strangers from getting pummeled by a nice sweet pregnant lady!


No comments:

Post a Comment